Do you want to have fun, get into shape and meet new friends? Everyone who has played a sport as an amateur or professional would vouch for the many benefits you can enjoy. Basketball is not only a very popular game in the US but worldwide and there are many reasons for this. Read on to find out why you will benefit greatly from taking up basketball.
General Health Benefits of Playing Basketball:
Burns up to 700 calories in one hour of playing
Develops concentration and self-discipline
Builds stamina and endurance
Can be considered a good aerobic workout
Additional Benefits of Playing Basketball:
Can be played by both young and old at all levels.
Teaches how to be a good team player.
Can be played just for fun and as a good introduction to playing sports by kids of all ages and levels and generally is good exercise for kids. Up until the age of 12 kids should be encouraged to play basketball only as a fun game whilst running, throwing and catching the ball or a similar object. Basketball can also be played by adults just for laughter, exercise, and a bit of team spirit, of course.
It is an excellent way to learn social skills for young and old, make new friends and see your team members regularly during practices and games.
The game can be played alone with only a basketball, as goals are readily available in most parks and recreation areas where you can shoot baskets by yourself, or with as few as two people if the normal number of ten players is not available.
There are many opportunities to join amateur leagues if you want to get involved in local competition. This is an excellent way to spice up a boring exercise routine, and a great motivational factor to get in top physical shape for an upcoming important game. It is also an easy way to make new social contacts.
The aforementioned benefits of playing basketball can be enjoyed if you take into account a couple of factors:
– Get fit to be in shape and enjoy the game to your maximum
– Do warm up exercises before and after play
– Drink plenty of fluids regularly
– Practice ball handling: dribbling, passing and shooting daily as they are essential to your success in playing basketball
– Get all the equipment needed for the game; correct size and height goals and basketballs for kids or adults; sport shoes with good ankle support, as well as protective gear like mouth guards and knee and elbow pads in case of vigorous play.
– Learn the rules of the game and scoring system to avoid confusion and differences with rival teams